Being in the Right Place at the Right Time to See the Right Explosion - The Intrepid

Friday, July 09, 2010

Being in the Right Place at the Right Time to See the Right Explosion

Toronto Transformer Explosion Kipling
This past Monday, as I was walking home along Islington Avenue, I heard a large bang, and as I turned towards the noise, I saw a massive fireball shoot up into the air from the Hydro transformer station at Kipling Avenue and Norseman Street. As a part-time pseudo-journalist, my first instinct was to throw my backpack to the ground, pull out my camera, and take a photo of the resulting mushroom cloud (which you can see above). My second instinct was to text Torontoist's editor-in-chief, David Topping, with information about the fire and the resulting blackout, which ended up covering a fair part of the city. (You can read Torontoist's full coverage here.)

This was one of those chance opportunities that reporters dream about: being in the right place at the right time to get the scoop on a major event.

From now on I'm bringing my camera with me every time I go out.

Photo by Stephen M.

0 comments: