Bing Screws Up - The Intrepid

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bing Screws Up

deepwater horizon oil spill
The Intrepid has been getting a lot of traffic lately from Bing's image search engine due to a pointless little post I wrote a week ago on the size of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, and what it would look like superimposed over Toronto.

The post was a pretty lame piece of hackery with two mildly interesting images. When I posted it I never imagined that one of the images would make it to the top of Bing's image search results for the keywords: "Deepwater Horizon oil spill."

There are thousands of images of the spill out there that are better than the lazy Google Maps screenshot I posted, so why did my image make it to the top? Surely someone else has to have labeled an image of the spill with those same keywords. Just one more reason to use Google, I guess.

Screenshot from Bing.com.

0 comments: