Toronto Then and Now: Bloor and Islington Redux - The Intrepid

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Toronto Then and Now: Bloor and Islington Redux

Then
Islington Avenue and Aberfoyle Crescent 1918Aberfoyle Crescent and Islington Avenue, facing southwest towards Bloor Street West and Islington Avenue. (1918)

Now
Islington Avenue and Aberfoyle Crescent 2009Aberfoyle Crescent and Islington Avenue, facing southwest towards Bloor Street West and Islington Avenue. (2009)

Usually, when I'm looking for photos to recreate for my Then and Now series, I try to find images that contain structures (buildings, bridges, etc) that are still around today. These points of reference are important, as they help to tell the story of an area. Of course, over the past century (and even decade) certain parts of Toronto have changed beyond recognition. I try to avoid doing posts about these kinds of photos, as there's nothing to really compare. But in the case of the photo above, I thought I'd make an exception, seeing as I already looked at Islington Avenue and Bloor Street West in an earlier article.

The 1918 photo of Islington Avenue and Aberfoyle Crescent is from the Etobicoke Historical Society. The 2009 photo is from Google Maps.

0 comments: