Torontoist Article Update: Streetcar Warriors and Pantless TTC Riders - The Intrepid

Monday, January 11, 2010

Torontoist Article Update: Streetcar Warriors and Pantless TTC Riders


Streetcar Warrior
For this article I interviewed to Simon Pulsifer, the former Wikipedia King, about his eight hour and 104 kilometre trip along all of the TTC streetcar lines (minus the parts of the St. Clair and Roncesvalles lines that are still under construction and the Kingston Road Tripper, which doesn't run on weekends). According to Pulsifer's calculations,which he took during his trip, the average streetcar runs at about 15 km/h.

Here's Pulsifer's full results:

St. Clair - 15.3 km/h
Queen - 15.2 km/h
College - 15.9 km/h
Dundas - 15.8 km/h
Spadina - 14.7 km/h
King - 15.7 km/h
Harbourfront - 12.0 km/h
Bathurst - 15.8 km/h
No Pants, No Problem on the TTC
For the second year in a row, I covered Improv in Toronto's annual No Pants Subway Ride for Torontoist. This year, I had the always excellent Nick Kozak taking photos for me, which made doing things a lot easier. Last year, I'd had to take notes, interview participants and commuters, and dash from car to car taking photos—not a lot of fun. Since I had more time to sit back and eavesdrop make notes, my commuter comments were much better.

Here are a few more great quotes that didn't make it into my Torontoist post.
"Oh la la, I like what’s going on here," exclaimed one guy who got on the train and was met by a group of leggy female participants.

"We should have tanned before, and maybe shaved our legs," said one participant to her friend at Eglinton Station.

"I think I’m in heaven," said one gentleman to his friend.

"I don’t know what’s going on, but everyone is looking at me like I’m the odd one here, and I’m actually wearing pants," quipped a commuter at Rosedale Station to his companions.
Photo by Nick Kozak.

0 comments: